Gottlieb – Ni-Wumpf System 1 MPU
The system 1 board is a plug-in replacement for the original Gottlieb System 1 CPU. It supports all of the games in the platform series, and provides considerable diagnostic capability for the technician when troubleshooting where a game may be malfunctioning. The entire game software has been re-written with an emphasis on maintaining the timing and compatibility of the original board, however with quite a bit more functionality added in:
- Direct replacement of the original System1 board.
- Enhanced switch input circuitry preventing damage to the board from playfield wiring issues.
- 3-month warranty.
- All game code completely re-written (with some minor original Gottlieb glitches omitted!)
- Twenty-four years in business with thousands of boards sold internationally.
- Text based diagnostics menu system that allows operator settings previously done via DIP switches to be entered via front door switches.
- Tests that cycle repeatedly (until timeout) to help isolate faults.
- Enhanced use of high reliability surface-mount components with off-the-shelf thru-hole components at the edge for ease of serviceability.
- Display test to exercise all digit segments (numbers), and to strobe each digit independently to check for display (UDN6118) shorts.
- Solenoid test that exercises each coil including lamp controlled coils (when configured set for such a game)
- Enhanced switch test to identify stuck switches.
- Power-up code revision and game setting displayed for quick diagnostic configuration identification.
- All 16 System 1 games are included on one board with no ROM swapping required.
- Original MPU functionality has been closely duplicated and adds many optional features including:
- Free game mode
- Updated game options for many games to allow add-a-ball mode (multiple free-balls awarded during a single ball) where the playfield challenge is completely reset once after scoring the free-ball / special.
- Menu options to disable add-a-ball (for operators who requested it!)
- Automatic threshold calculation and adjustment.
- Tournement mode – Special award replaced with points
- Operator set Ball Save time!
- Million point scores shown in scrolling display.
- Idle mode animation.
- Skill shot option.
- Four high score memory.
- Restore factory-settings option for quick reset of settings.
- Wizard mode for some games
- Open-collector output logic with zener diode protection for all solenoid circuits and lamp select lines to prevent CPU damage from a damaged driver board.
- Battery-less operation – all settings and high-score data are stored in FLASH with >100,000 write cycles.
- Designed for low-cost component repair and maintenance on I/O sensitive components (exposed to bad displays / bad driver boards, etc.)
- Stuck switches are ignored and do not impair the rest of the games operation, including the slam switch!
- USB diagnostic program and FLASH update tool to allow coding updates in the field.